THE FABULOUS 4 FOR HEALTH AND VITALITY
By Jenny Ross
As summer draws to a close, you may be finding yourself stretched to do it all, and keep your health focused resolutions at the same time. Here are 4 health tips that are quick and easy and can get you and your family feeling better right away.
- Deep Breathing: Stress is the third highest cause of disease in these United States. (Some would argue it could be No. 1 in in California!) In order to relax and help your body shift to a more alkaline state of relaxation simply take 3-5 minutes out of your day for some deep breathing. Deep breathing helps to oxygenate your cells and kills off free radicals making your body stronger and more resistant. Begin by sitting on the edge of your sofa or bed with your legs uncrossed and feet firmly planted on the ground. Place your hands on your knees and straighten your back. Breathe in deeply through your nose allowing the air to fill your belly. Release the air by pursing your lips and exhaling to a count of 5 completely exiting the air from your body. Repeat this at least 6 times.
- Berry Bliss: Berries are high in anti-oxidants and micro nutrients. Berries may quickly pump up the immune system and help to regulate metabolism. Try to purchase organic berries wherever possible (they are on the Environmental Working Groups list of top 12 sprayed crops). Blueberries, Acai Berry and Mulberries are some of the highest on the nutrient density index. Try this easy smoothie as a morning meal replacement- kids love these also as an afternoon snack. The mixture may also be frozen to make delicious popsicles:
- 1 Banana
- ½ Cup Organic Blueberries or 2 Scoops Acai Freeze Dried Powder
- ½ Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Tsp Raw Honey
- Ice as desired
- Start the Day off Right! Have a healthy breakfast to boost your metabolism, feed your brain and prevent unnecessary drop in blood sugar before lunch. We are so quick to jump off into our day we forget breakfast. The quality of your breakfast is equally as important as remembering to fit it into your schedule. Try to avoid high sugar high carbohydrate cereals and breakfast pastries, these can lead to a quick drop in energy after the meal and could leave you feeling more hunger. Enjoy instead fresh raw nuts, breakfast superfood smoothies, greek yogurt and high fiber starters like oats or buckwheat granola. You are more likely to make healthy choices throughout your day if you start the day off with a high quality breakfast.
- Green Tea with Lemon for Energy! Ditch the coffee cup. Did you know coffee is extremely acidic in the body and causes the body to go into automatic defense against the nervous system? To gather some vital energy and enjoy the phyto-nutrients in green tea that also help stave off cancer, enjoy 1-3 cups of green tea daily. Adding lemon actually enhances the health benefits of this elixir of youth, so try a squeeze in your next cup.