DIANA MOOD SAYS “IT’S NEVER TOO LATE…”
Read Her Letter to Friends, Followers
Diana Mood resides in Howard County, Maryland and attends Chapelgate Presbyterian Church. After attending the Radicalis conference at Saddleback Church, she and a friend took the The Daniel Plan challenge so she could better serve God. After losing 80 pounds, she still has a way to go to reach her goal weight, but she was inspired to share her story with us, and a personal letter she wrote to friends who have been following her journey.
DESCRIBE A FEW PRIMARY HEALTH CHALLENGES OR BAD HABITS YOU HAD BEFORE STARTING THE DANIEL PLAN?
BEFORE / AFTER
- Eating for any and every dysfunctional reason: boredom, stress, comfort, sadness, excitement, rarely just because I was legitimately hungry.
- Fatigue, discomfort, short of breath with exertion.
- A gradually increasing blood pressure
- Depression. An overwhelming sense of hopelessness and helplessness about my weight. I had given up all hope of ever succeeding at weight loss and was resigned to a decreasing quality of life and inevitable shortened life expectancy.
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO START THE DANIEL PLAN, HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT IT?
A friend/co-worker and I were attending the Radicals conference at Saddleback Church in February to join the PEACE plan track and just happened to be in attendance at the morning session when Pastor Rick talked about the Daniel Plan.
Pastor Rick’s review of scriptural truths, which I had heard many times before, this time gave me a glimmer of hope — especially the principle of good stewardship over our bodies which are created by God, dwelt by the Holy Spirit and waiting for the resurrection and transformation into new perfect bodies.
I had been terribly negligent in taking care of this precious gift of life….and the body given to me. I needed to change as an act of worship, stewardship and gratitude for the life I have been given and to finish well in the race he had set out before me to serve others and proclaim the gospel to a suffering world.
WHAT NEW HEALTHY HABITS HAVE YOU LEARNED, OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU HAVE LEARNED FROM THE DANIEL PLAN?
- The total elimination of sugar and artificial sweeteners has eliminated that addictive, out of control urge to eat. So now I eat when I am hungry and can pause to reflect on making healthy choices instead of thoughtlessly grabbing the closest, quickest, sweetest thing in sight.
- I have eliminated all processed foods, anything in a box, bag, bottle or can.
- I have eliminated white flour, eating only whole grains.
- I am taking several supplements, vitamins, minerals, etc.
- I write down everything I eat and am tracking nutrition and calories on www.fitday.com.
- I walk three miles per day and am gradually increasing the distance and incline.
- I identified the stressors in my life which drove me to seek counterfeit, momentary, relief in food and developed strategies to better manage and reduce each stressor.
- I do regular, in-depth, inductive Bible studies on topics which relate to my internal and external struggles, and am learning to more effectively tap into the power of the Holy Spirit who is ever ready to help and enable me to overcome each and every temptation and hindrance.
- I am doing all of this with a good friend…we encourage and help each other stay the course.
WHAT HAVE BEEN A FEW OF THE RESULTS YOU’VE EXPERIENCED?
- I have lost 80 pounds since March 1, 2011.
- I have lost 6 inches around my waist and have decreased my clothing size from 4x to 1x. I am having lots of fun giving away all of my “too big” but still very nice clothing.
- My blood pressure and cholesterol levels are normal and stable. I am decreasing and eliminating several medications.
- All my back and knee aches and pains are totally gone.
- I am not getting sick as often as I did before.
- My goal is to lose another 75 pounds by March 1, 2012. In His strength, all things are possible.
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE SOMEONE GETTING STARTED OR CONSIDERING THE DANIEL PLAN?
- It is never too late to change. You’re never too old or too far gone to experience restoration and success.
- God’s limitless power will enable you to reach what seem to be outrageous, impossible goals.
- With God, all things are possible. He is the God of hope, we just need to trust Him. He will do it in you.
- Find a good friend who will faithfully walk this path with you.
- Suffering and heartache are mercies in disguise, designed to draw us closer to Christ who loves us with an everlasting love. “God permits what he hates to accomplish what he loves for His glory and our good.” (Joni Tada)
- Follow the plan on the website. Read everything, even if you think you know it all.