ASIAN VEGETABLE SALAD
Mark Hyman, MD
The dressing is well balanced with salty, sweet, and sour tastes. This salad is a perfect accompaniment for Soy-Marinated Tofu, or any grilled or roasted meat.
- 1/4 pound snow peas (generous 1 cup), stem ends trimmed and strings removed
- 2 cups shredded Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 1/3 cup julienne carrot
- 1/3 cup julienne red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup julienne cucumber
- 3 tablespoons minced scallion (about 1 medium scallion)
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced mint
- 3 tablespoons light sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the snow peas and cook for 30 seconds. Drain and immediately place in a bowl of ice water. Remove the snow peas from the ice water and pat dry.
- Mix together the snow peas, cabbage, carrot, red pepper, cucumber, scallion, cilantro, and mint.
- Whisk together the sesame oil, tamari, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix thoroughly.