CAJUN BLACK-EYED PEAS
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 stalks green onions or scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 teaspoons diced poblano pepper
- 3/4 cup organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2–1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot. Add all onions, garlic, and poblano pepper. Sauté the vegetables for 2–3 minutes until aromatic then add the vegetable broth.
- Pour beans from can into strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Add the beans, lemon juice, and all spices and herbs to the vegetable broth. Simmer 20–25 minutes while stirring occasionally until beans and vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and either enjoy warm or chill and serve.