CHILE LIME CHICKEN WITH VEGGIE KABOBS
Note: If you are serving veggie kabobs with chicken, plan ahead. The marinade for the chicken can be used to marinate the veggies as well, or a slight, lighter, variation may be used. In any case, you will want to think ahead to make enough for the second marinade if using some of the same ingredients while chopping and juicing. It will save you time. The veggies also need to marinate. Try doubling the marinade recipe.
*For vegetarians serve the veggie kabobs with no chicken and serve with a side of tofu or quinoa
- 2 Chicken breasts (4-6oz), free range, hormone free, antibiotic free
- 2 Tbsp refined grape seed oil or olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- *optional: 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
Preparation for Chicken:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice and vinegar. Add cilantro, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and jalapeno (if using), salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breast between pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Pound lightly with meat mallet until chicken breasts are about ¼ inch thick.
- Whisk marinade again before coating chicken breast with mixture.
- Place chicken breasts in baking dish and brush remaining marinade over breasts. Cover dish and refrigerate. If possible try to marinate for at least two hours so meat will be tender and flavorful. Marinate no less than one hour and no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat grill to medium. Cover chicken while grilling.
- Grill chicken for 8-10 minutes, turning once. Check one piece by cutting into the center. Center should not be pink.
Ingredients for Veggie Kabobs:
- 1 C red, yellow, or green bell pepper (mixed) chunks
- 1 C Sweet Red onion Chunks
- 1 C mushroom caps
- 1 C zucchini chunks
- 1 C yellow squash chunks
- Optional: 1 C cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. This recipe calls for olive oil because coconut oil will get hard in the refrigerator. The other option is to use coconut oil and not marinate the vegetables.
- Put vegetables in the smallest bowl that they will easily fit in.
- Pour marinade over vegetables and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum of 2 hours, up to 8 hours. Turn/ toss veggies at least once during marinating time.
- Remove from refrigerator and thread vegetables onto wooden skewers. Alternate vegetables by color for attractive kabobs.
- Grill over medium heat for 8- 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Cook a little less time for crispy veggies (healthier), or until slightly charred for more tender veggies.