POACHED TILAPIA IN SAFFRON SAUCE
By Daniel Plan Wellness Advisor, Tana Amen
- 3-4 Tsp vegetable broth for sautéing, or 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 ¾ Cup Vegetable broth
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2 inches sliced orange peel, or large piece orange zest
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 ½ Cup organic stewed or diced tomatoes
- ½ Cup fennel
- 1 leek (white only), sliced
- ½ Cup okra, sliced
- Real Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tilapia fillets
- 4 lemon wedges
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste. Sautee for one minute. Deglaze skillet with 1 cup vegetable broth.
- Add tarragon, saffron, orange zest and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and orange zest. Add tomato and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add leek, fennel and okra. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Season fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to sauce and gently poach for 3-4 minutes each side.
Serve immediately in shallow dishes. Garnish each dish with one lemon wedge.
Suggestion: This sauce is also excellent served over barley and no fish for those who do not eat animal protein of any kind.