ROASTED TOMATO AND GARLIC SPREAD
Mark Hyman MD
Serving size: ¼ cup
- 1/2 medium-size head of garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters, or halves if very small
- 2 teaspoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 4 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (about 2 teaspoons)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the head of garlic in half horizontally. Place the garlic on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Wrap the garlic tightly in the foil and place on a large baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, the salt, and pepper. Spread the tomato mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet with the wrapped garlic. Place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until the tomatoes start to brown.
- Remove the tomatoes from the baking sheet and place them in a small bowl. Re- move the garlic from the foil. Squeeze the individual garlic cloves from their skins and add to the tomatoes. Stir in the parsley and basil.
This earthy, flavorful spread can be served as an appetizer with raw vegetables.