Source: A Food Centric Life
Vivid green, this creamy asparagus soup is rich and easy to make for a spring or Easter dinner. It is dairy-free with coconut milk and can be vegan if you use vegetable broth. Chicken broth is great too. Lemon adds a lift of flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
• 2 bundles fresh asparagus
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion 1/2 cup, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
• 1 1/3 cups broth vegetable or chicken, low sodium
• 1 cup canned coconut milk
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper I use white pepper
• 1 lemon, juiced
1. Fill a 4-5 quart pot three-quarters full with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Fill a medium bowl half full of ice, then fill with cold water. This creates an ice bath. While water is coming to a boil, prep the asparagus.?
2. Snap the tough ends off of the bottom of the asparagus spears. Trim off the tips, then chop the rest of the spears into 1″ pieces. Drop all of the asparagus into boiling salted water and cook for 2 minutes. Strain asparagus through a sieve into the sink and add the asparagus immediately to the ice batch to stop the cooking process. Chill until cold then drain again.?
3. In the same pan, cook onion in olive oil over medium low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook 1 minute. Add asparagus, broth and coconut milk. Simmer for a few minutes for flavors to blend. Puree in a blender until smooth. Add lemon juice salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot or chilled.
For more healthy and delicious recipes and informative articles, check out Sally’s blog A Food Centric Life.