Chef Sally Cameron, www.AFoodCentricLife.com
Scrambled eggs or egg whites make a quick and nutritious breakfast-in-a-hurry for busy weekday mornings. Add spoonfuls of salsa for a kick. If you have time, add chopped cilantro and avocado. Soft egg tacos are a satisfying and healthy start that will keep you going. For added protein and fiber, add pinto or black beans on the side.
Yield: 1 serving, 2 tacos
- 2 eggs (use whole eggs or 3 egg whites)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A few drops of oil
- 2 small corn tortillas, or a whole grain corn-wheat blend
- 2 tablespoons grated low fat Mexican cheese blend (or low fat cheddar)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons healthy salsa
- 1/4 of a small avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup canned pinto or black beans (as a side)
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and beat together with a fork or whisk until blended. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a few drops of oil. Pour in beaten eggs and cook, stirring until cooked and scrambled. Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon with a non-stick pan, not a metal utensil.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds or heat on an open gas flame turned to low, turning tortillas for a few seconds to heat while the eggs are cooking.
- Divide eggs between the warmed tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, cilantro and salsa if desired. Fold in half and enjoy with warmed beans on the side for extra protein and healthy fiber.
Note – Warm the beans in a small pan over low heat or in a microwave at half power for 1 minute, covered with safe plastic film. Stir and test for warmth. Repeat if needed.