** SUPER BOWL SPECIAL **
Daniel had Shadrach, Meshach, and Abedengo when they issued the food challenge to King Nebuchadnezzar. On Sunday, February 6, the Packers won’t be sending just one person to face the Steelers in the Super Bowl football game – the entire team will take on the challenge together. There’s strength in numbers and you’ll continue to need the support of your friends, family, and small group as you endure the ups and downs of this challenge.
In fact, with the help of our health experts, Dr. Daniel Amen, Dr. Mark Hyman, and Dr. Mehmet Oz, participants in The Daniel Plan are being included in one of the largest clinical studies measuring the effectiveness of social support with adapting a healthy lifestyle.
What about you? Are you adapting to The Daniel Plan alone or with somebody (or small group)?
In Week 3, The Daniel Plan demonstrates the power of group support. And we’re giving you a little push: see “Next Steps.” This week, we encourage you to shop, cook, and share a meal together. While in a group, you’ll be surprised at what you learn.
We’re here to help. We’ve added two videos (The Good Stuff and The Bad Stuff) about being “Supermarket Savvy” so you and your group can learn how to navigate the aisles of a typical grocery store. We’ve added new menu and recipe ideas, including healthy–yet delicious–snacks for one of America’s most popular pastimes – watching the Super Bowl game!
Additionally, Dr. Daniel Amen offers advice on “Dealing with Food Pushers” who unknowingly can trigger making bad food choices.
COMING SOON! Do you have a favorite healthy recipe or two? We would love to know about it! Along with your name and e-mail address, please include the title, ingredients/quantity, preparation instructions, serving sizes, and photograph and send it to [email protected].
PUTTING IT INTO PRACTICE
- Select 2-4 healthy recipe items (Snacks & Hors d’oeuvres, Salads, Salad Dressings, Soups, Main Dishes, Side Dishes, Desserts). Make a shopping list. Go shopping together and read the labels on foods you normally would have bought. Refer to video and guide called, “Understanding the Label” by Dr. Mark Hyman.
- Prepare the food together as a group.
- Enjoy the meal together and discuss what everybody learned. Here are a few discussion questions:
- What has surprised you most about shopping for healthy foods?
- What have you learned on The Daniel Plan so far? What changes have made the most difference? How different have you felt?
- What were the hardest changes? What support can the group provide to help each other through the obstacles?