Even if you don’t have time to get out of town, summer is peak season for spending quality time with your family. At Integrative Nutrition, we love stand-by classics like the beach or a backyard bbq – but wouldn’t it be more fun to try something new?
Challenge yourself to be the coolest parent on the block with these creative, active, and kid-friendly activities:
- Camp overnight in your backyard.
- Take photographs of the family and make a collage.
- Plant a garden or an urban garden.
- Visit a water park, or make one with sprinklers and mini-pools.
- Write and perform a play of your child’s favorite story.
- Make Tie-dye t-shirts.
- Let your kids choose a simple recipe, shop for the ingredients together, and allow them to do most of the cooking (with your guidance).
- Visit a local farm that allows children to interact with the animals.
- Create an arts-and-crafts project using recycled materials.
- Go fishing.
- Host an ‘iced-tea tasting’ with a range of black, green, and/or herbal teas flavored with honey, agave nectar, or fresh fruit.
- Throw a family dance party with balloons and other decorations.
- Make homemade popsicles with fresh fruit juice.
- Build the biggest living room fort ever!
- Take a family bike ride to a picnic destination.
- Challenge your kids to a water balloon battle.
- Have a slumber party with homemade avocado facials.
- Visit and explore a local state park.
- Arrange a toy scavenger hunt.
- Learn a new language together.
- Spend a day hiking and enjoying nature.
- Have a jigsaw puzzle challenge for who can complete it in the least amount of time.
- Create a family band with real or toy musical instruments and/or household objects.
- Build a house for your pet.
- Host a mini-Olympics in your backyard with homemade medals/prizes.
When you’re thoroughly worn out from all of that, send the kids to grandma’s and have a romantic weekend alone with your partner, you deserve it!
What are your favorite, creative ideas for summer family fun?