In this Sweet Potato, Edamame & Quinoa Bowl, I combined a gluten-free grain (quinoa) with a fiber-filled roasted veg (sweet potatoes) and protein (edamame), a pop of color and greenery (scallions), and some crunch and healthy fat (cashews). I topped everything off with my favorite salad dressing of all time plus one of my favorite anti-inflammatory, digestion-loving, heart healthy ingredients – fresh ginger root.
My husband, Bill, and I love this dish so much that we’ve made it twice in the past few weeks. It can be served warm or chilled, and it’s lasted us for multiple dinners and lunches each time, which has saved us time and money.
We decided to repurpose the dressing from our favorite kale salad for this recipe and added minced ginger to boost the flavor even more.
1 pound sweet potatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 cup quinoa
2 cups (about 10 ounces) shelled edamame soybeans
1/2 cup chopped cashews, lightly toasted
1/3 cup scallions, chopped
Creamy Ginger Tahini Dressing
3 tablespoons raw tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
2 tablespoons water
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1-inch ginger root, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roasted for 20-25 minutes until pierced easily with a fork.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Spread quinoa on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool and prevent it from clumping together. This last step is optional but really helps.
- While quinoa is cooking, cook edamame according to package directions and then set aside.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small jar. Set aside.
- Put cooled quinoa in a large bowl and add sweet potatoes, edamame, scallions, and cashews. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine evenly. Add more sea salt and pepper to taste.